PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant MYSQL_NUM - assumed 'MYSQL_NUM' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/init.php on line 170

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant MYSQL_ASSOC - assumed 'MYSQL_ASSOC' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/init.php on line 170

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant MYSQL_BOTH - assumed 'MYSQL_BOTH' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/init.php on line 170

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant VB_FRAMEWORK - assumed 'VB_FRAMEWORK' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/functions.php on line 8121

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant vsa - assumed 'vsa' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code(8) : eval()'d code on line 1

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant reload - assumed 'reload' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 36

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant banner - assumed 'banner' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 38

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant type - assumed 'type' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant duration - assumed 'duration' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant height - assumed 'height' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant width - assumed 'width' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant url - assumed 'url' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant title - assumed 'title' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant id - assumed 'id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant reload - assumed 'reload' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 36

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant banner - assumed 'banner' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 38

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant type - assumed 'type' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant duration - assumed 'duration' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant height - assumed 'height' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant width - assumed 'width' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant url - assumed 'url' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant title - assumed 'title' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant id - assumed 'id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant left - assumed 'left' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 51

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant center - assumed 'center' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 52

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant vsafibr_enable_triangle - assumed 'vsafibr_enable_triangle' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/class_core.php(4734) : eval()'d code on line 29

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant vsafibr_enable_triangle - assumed 'vsafibr_enable_triangle' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/class_core.php(4734) : eval()'d code on line 33

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant vsafibr_enable_newwindow - assumed 'vsafibr_enable_newwindow' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/class_core.php(4734) : eval()'d code on line 98

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant onlinestatusphrase - assumed 'onlinestatusphrase' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/class_core.php(4734) : eval()'d code on line 6

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant onlinestatusphrase - assumed 'onlinestatusphrase' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/class_core.php(4734) : eval()'d code on line 6

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant onlinestatusphrase - assumed 'onlinestatusphrase' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/class_core.php(4734) : eval()'d code on line 57

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant avatarurl - assumed 'avatarurl' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/class_core.php(4734) : eval()'d code on line 58

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant onlinestatusphrase - assumed 'onlinestatusphrase' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/class_core.php(4734) : eval()'d code on line 57

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant avatarurl - assumed 'avatarurl' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/class_core.php(4734) : eval()'d code on line 58
safe ick treatment for scaleless fish

Thread: safe ick treatment for scaleless fish

1. safe ick treatment for scaleless fish

I have some ick in one of my tanks and since I have glass catfish and pleco's in that tank i'm concerned about what is a safe treatment. I have some Ick Clear by Jungle and wondered if that would be safe? Right now the ick seems to be affecting only a few of the fish (including the glass catfish) the directions on the ick clear says use 1/2 dosage for scaleless fish. All I have done so far for treatments is raise the temperature to 80f and added the smallest ammount of salt. (I know glassfish and pleco's are senitive to salt) Yesterday when I checked the water I had a positive reading (0.3) on the nitrite Everything else seemed normal, Ammonia at 0. This morning I did a half water change (this was before I added the salt). when I retested the water, the nitrite has now gone down to 0.1. Earlier in the week I did a major clean of the tank, took everything out, cleaned the gravel etc. I guess I did too much of a clean which upset the balance. I recently added my husband's large pleco to this tank so I also figure adding the poop machine unbalanced things as well. (but I did move out two of my african cats as well) I would love any suggestions, should I try treating the tank with ickclear in a reduced dosage or not play with the water right now, and just keep the water temperature warmer than normal. I also think when I did the water change I didn't have the water temperature right (too cool) so I'm sure I have stressed out the fish. No one is acting sick at this point. The worse affected are the 2 glass catfish (these are the large ones which I think are called green glassfish) thanks for listening
    dianne

Re: safe ick treatment for scaleless fish

Seems like you are doing things right, I think your analysis of the cause is probably right, but the worst thing you can do is 'partially dose' medications. All it does is hurt the sensitive fish, without reaching a critical therapeutic threshold to kill the pathogen. Keep the water warm, I would even venture to 82 degrees F, the ich will self limit in 7 - 10 days. Please remember, this is just my experience, opinion, I am not a fish pathologist.

3. Re: safe ick treatment for scaleless fish

thanks for the reply, i'm just going to continue doing this keeping the water warm with small water changes every few days. I figure once I get the tank balanced again, things will right themselves naturally. So far I have lost 2 of my kulli loaches but that was due to the poor water quality. I almost forgot I had them in the tank as they rarely come out. I really perfer not to add any meds to the tank.

4. Re: safe ick treatment for scaleless fish

I have a few sensitive fish in my tank right now (Ghost Knife, Clown Loaches) and have just gone through an ick treatment.

One of my angels got a few spots on him and I didn't really worry about him so much as I did the ghost knife and the loaches. I brought the tank up to 81 degrees, then bought a bottle of Liquid Super Ick Cure from API and did a half dose for my sensitive fish. Within a day the spots were gone off the angel. I followed the directions and did another half dose after 48 hours, then a 25% water change 48 hours after that.

Everyone seems to be doing fine, though I think with the heavy water change, my ghost knife is MIA...he may have found a new hiding place...I can't seem to find him. Hoping he's alright.

Ick has never been easy with medications and sensitive fish. The best way to not have it in your tank is to prevent it with quality water parameters.

I hope your fish come out ok!

PS - Kuli loaches are awesome...but i could never find mine either ;)

5. Re: safe ick treatment for scaleless fish

thanks sharkbait, I decided to do a treatment after talking to someone on the phone this morning. So raised the temperature to 82f, dosed a half treatment of ick clear and so far everyone seems to be okay. I guess i may have to do a 2nd treatment. I really like my loaches too, i'm planning to get more once everything in the tank goes back to normal, maybe in the new year. I'm going to have to keep a better eye on the water condition, i wonder if I somehow did something wrong when I cleaned the canister filter a few weeks ago. Everything was fine before that. I have my fingers crossed the glasscats and my last K loach will be fine.
    dianne

6. Re: safe ick treatment for scaleless fish

I agree with mollyb regarding partial dosing. If you think about it, why would half a dose work? If it did, why not use 1/2 a dose on all fish? The truth of the matter is that just because a host may be more sensitive to a chemical it doesn't mean the target pathogen is going to more sensitive. Worse, a common side-effect of under dosing is that is can speed up the development of resistance of a pathogen to the chemical you are exposing it to.

The key with "sensitive" fish is to adjust the dose slowly to acclimate the fish. This is even true with salt and fish such as catfish, loaches and other scaleless fish. Most fish, including scaleless fish, can handle salt - what they can't handle are sudden changes in the salt content of the water. In cases such as yours, the best initial course of action is to make sure that your water quality is as good as possible. This is because even the best medicine will fail if the fish is stressed from poor water quality. Raising the temperature helps as it burns-out/stresses the parasites and if high enough (32C/90F) can kill it.

If you are not comfortable with salt (because of plants or other reasons), you can always try something like Rid-Ich or Quick Cure (can't remember what's in Ich Clear at the moment). The active ingredients in Rid-Ich and Quick Cure are malachite green and formalin. Both are very effective against ich. I would use at the recommended dose for all fish (i.e., don't use a half dose if recommended for 'scale less' fish). The other thing to keep in mind is that all chemicals that kill ich are only effective against the Tomite, or free swimming infective stage. The white spots you see on the fish are Trophozoites and/or Trophonts, or tissue dwelling development stages, and are not affected by treatment chemicals. So if you treat fish and the white spots suddenly disappear, it doesn't mean you've achieved anything by way of treatment. Rather, what happens is that during the normal course of development of the disease the Trophonts (which are mature Trophozoites) leave the fish, attach to some substrate and continue developing until they release Tomites which infect your fish. Because of this you need to keep the treatment up for a couple of weeks to make sure all the Tomites in the system are exposed to the treatment chemical and killed off.

Hope this helps. Good luck with it.