Thread: World's first captive bred yellow tangs.

2. Re: World's first captive bred yellow tangs.

Amazing and cool at the same time!

Re: World's first captive bred yellow tangs.

Wow...that is something!

4. Re: World's first captive bred yellow tangs.

Quote Originally Posted by biggs View Post
    Wow...that is something!
    No kidding. Although, I found it odd (perhaps funny) that many of the comments to the article questioned if the fish in the pictures were a different species because they were transparent. This is something very common with very young marine fish. It will be great to see the developmental series pictures and find out more about feeding.

Now this is cool. Government funded ornamental fish culture research....................hmmmm, I wonder if it would work here.

6. Re: World's first captive bred yellow tangs.

An very interesting picture showing pigmentation transition. This work is ground breaking!

7. Re: World's first captive bred yellow tangs.

Quote Originally Posted by mollyb View Post
    Now this is cool. Government funded ornamental fish culture research....................hmmmm, I wonder if it would work here.
    Well, there has certainly been a lot of work on marine fish culture funded by the feds. Halibut, cod, sablefish and lumpfish are examples. Most of this work was done on the east coast (except for the sablefish which was done here in BC). However, all of it is related to food fish culture. Jeff Marliave at the Vancouver aquarium has done some great work on the culture of several non-food fish marine species. However, all of this work was done pre facebook days which means if it was published it's buried in the literature. The only ornamental work that I know of, apart from what is done in people's home aquariums, is the work being done on FW fish at VIU.

8. Re: World's first captive bred yellow tangs.

Thats awesome crazy how fast the industry in reef keep is changing and the technology thats being implemented to maintain these fragile saltwater eco systems. Love to read that more and more of it is not coming from the ocean and about these large coral propagation farms instead of taking corals from the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by mollyb View Post
    hmmmm, I wonder if I could work there.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes