Thread: Like a kid in the candy store

Like a kid in the candy store

Hi everyone. My 1st time with a saltwater tank and curious to know what some of your favourite fish have been and why. Still leaning towards fish only but staying open minded on corals.

Re: Like a kid in the candy store

You can do very easy "corals" Mushrooms and zooes. They tolerate a very wide water parameters and are very forgiving for not keeping up-to-date with water changes.

I like tangs ,angles and so many more . Have fun just go slow . When you start getting fish, one thing to keep in mind is pecking order. Some types are more territorial and should be introduced last or as a group. Enjoy.

4. Re: Like a kid in the candy store

I'm a big fan of dwarf angels (Centropyge sp.). Pros: Usually easy to keep, very colourful, small and reef-safe (that is they won't pick at your corals). Cons: Not recommended to keep the same species together and it can be tricky to keep different species together due to aggression. Some species are more difficult than others and can be difficult to get feeding or acclimate to your system. It is therefore recommended that you introduce them to a well-established system.

Tangs last?

Sounds like dwarf angel last. Speaking of difficult to feed, my Bengaii will only eat Mysis. No luck with pellets or flake, he sucks it in then spits it out again, can I entice him onto a different food?

try brine shrimp frozen or you can hatch your own

8. Re: Like a kid in the candy store

Hi Sherri, not sure what you mean by “tangs last?”. Tangs are great – but need a lot of room. Also, I would recommend considering Zebrasoma sp., as they tend to be less belligerent that the others, and in particular Acanthurus sp.

As for the Bangaii, I have one that does the same thing. Not sure if this is true for all Bangers, but some fish can be very fussy eaters. In these cases, be thankful they are eating something. You can, and should, try other foods to entice them over, but it can be a very, very long process.

A varied diet is important since, in the long run, it ensures the diet is nutritionally complete. If the fish is only eating mysis, you could try soaking it in Selcon before feeding to improve the nutritional profile.

Got a little zoanthid frag, does brighten up the tank. Zooes for short?

Rats, started a reply then lost it into cyberspace, will have to learn to navigate a forum better. Never heard of Selcon but I get the idea and will go looking for some. Don't know much about hatching brine but will investigate further. I suppose tangs last was more a question with regard to trying to understand aggression pecking order. I think some fish just have personalities of their own but aiming for harmony in my 60 gal.

Just remember that the normally more aggressive species should go into the tank last.

12. Re: Like a kid in the candy store

Quote Originally Posted by TKD View Post
    Just remember that the normally more aggressive species should go into the tank last.
    I find this is the conventional wisdom, but in the end it can be a crap shoot - depending on the size of tank (bigger tanks disperse aggression better) and the species of fish and the individual (regardless of when you put them in, certain species just have a higher chance of being bullies once they get settled in).

Also number of fish in the tank can dispers the aggression as well. Same thing as Africans.