PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant MYSQL_NUM - assumed 'MYSQL_NUM' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/init.php on line 170

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant MYSQL_ASSOC - assumed 'MYSQL_ASSOC' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/init.php on line 170

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant MYSQL_BOTH - assumed 'MYSQL_BOTH' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/init.php on line 170

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant VB_FRAMEWORK - assumed 'VB_FRAMEWORK' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/functions.php on line 8121

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant vsa - assumed 'vsa' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code(8) : eval()'d code on line 1

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant reload - assumed 'reload' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 36

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant banner - assumed 'banner' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 38

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant type - assumed 'type' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant duration - assumed 'duration' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant height - assumed 'height' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant width - assumed 'width' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant url - assumed 'url' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant title - assumed 'title' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant id - assumed 'id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant reload - assumed 'reload' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 36

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant banner - assumed 'banner' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 38

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant type - assumed 'type' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant duration - assumed 'duration' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant height - assumed 'height' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant width - assumed 'width' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant url - assumed 'url' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant title - assumed 'title' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant id - assumed 'id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant left - assumed 'left' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 51

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant center - assumed 'center' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 52

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant vsafibr_enable_triangle - assumed 'vsafibr_enable_triangle' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/class_core.php(4734) : eval()'d code on line 29

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant vsafibr_enable_triangle - assumed 'vsafibr_enable_triangle' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/class_core.php(4734) : eval()'d code on line 33

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant vsafibr_enable_newwindow - assumed 'vsafibr_enable_newwindow' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/class_core.php(4734) : eval()'d code on line 98

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant onlinestatusphrase - assumed 'onlinestatusphrase' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/class_core.php(4734) : eval()'d code on line 6

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant onlinestatusphrase - assumed 'onlinestatusphrase' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/class_core.php(4734) : eval()'d code on line 6

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant onlinestatusphrase - assumed 'onlinestatusphrase' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/class_core.php(4734) : eval()'d code on line 57

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant avatarurl - assumed 'avatarurl' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/class_core.php(4734) : eval()'d code on line 58

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant onlinestatusphrase - assumed 'onlinestatusphrase' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/class_core.php(4734) : eval()'d code on line 57

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant avatarurl - assumed 'avatarurl' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/class_core.php(4734) : eval()'d code on line 58

Hair Algea
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hair Algea

1. Hair Algea

Hi there, We got our 150 gallon up and running. but now we have noticed a huge outbreak of hair algea. It is really hanging onto my val, and starting on my other plants, I am doing a 30% water change on it once a week, and clipping any obvious signs of the algea, Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions.

150G Fully planted/ with black graval fluorite.
    3 fluval 405 running on it.
    160 watts of lights for about 8 hrs a day.
    Growing swords /vals/crypts/nana's/ and a few odds and ends.
    Full of tetras and angels.

Would buying a few Ottos help, they are sppose to eat this stuff right ?

Re: Hair Algea

True siamensis are way better then ottos at eating the hair algae.

flourish excell its an unlabeled algae killer.. and its also a source of carbon for your plants.. the stuff is awesome and i swear by it.. you can over dose the stuff.. but do it slowly and watch carefully.. you can also spot treat with the stuff.. just remember to measure how much your dosing.. (spot treat with a syringe..)

as for fish/shrimp.. ottos are nice small fish.. cute.. and are a light grazer i found.. a true SAE can and usually does eat the stuff.. if your feeding a healthy amount and not over feeding your tank these guys do a much better job.. shrimp are ... well.. they do eat some algae.. but there more of a .. catch it before it gets bad.. and totally unreliable as a means for dealing with it.. just my opinion..
    Found a big spoon to stir with...

4. Re: Hair Algea

Yeah the flourish excell is what did it for me. Just double the dose it calls for and do it EVERY DAY for seven days. The only thing that went sideways was one plant - I don't remember the name - but all the other plants went CRAZY for it!! And it completely wiped out the hair algae. I only have some shrimp and about 500 guppies in there so I ad to do something inventive. I hope that helps!

If you have enough shrimp (cherry shrimp etc) they will deal with it. It just takes time and many many shrimp. But your angels would eat them.

6. Re: Hair Algea

Thanks everyone, I am going to ge the husband to stop off at Creatures and see if they have a SAE. Also plan on doing on a waterchange, and then start with the double dosing of excel. I will also clip any of the plants with major hair on it,

Will let you know the progress,

7. Re: Hair Algea

Ok , well tongiht will be dose 5. Day one we did a double dose after the water change. We have continued to double dose. The val is not loking so hot, as it has all gone limp and starting to melt down, The algea has turned red, and it s really noticeable where we didnt see it before. The water has also gone cloudy

When is it safe to assume the algea is all dead? Will my vals make a comeback.? and should I do a water change on day 7, as I would normally on weekly basis.?

Any thoughts?

woah no more doses.. your val mar or may not grow back... most of mine have.. you have .. over.. dosed the over dose.. its never a exact science.. as everyones tanks are different.. however have achieved.. and then some.. when its pink its dead.. red.. well ultra dead..

if you loose your vals i might have the same kind in a tank.. if not i can do some trades and find you some.. just leave your vals .. it can take 2 weeks for them to come back..

9. Re: Hair Algea

sorry, people said to double dose for 7 days, Should I water change today then instead of waiting for 2 more days? maybe cut the val down ?

From what I was able to read online people said thay going red was just the start and to wait till it went white? willit just eventually go away, becuase right now my tank is very red with dead algea.

from my experiences.. red is dead..

also.. damage is done to your plants.. a water change wont help much.. so id leave it for another couple days..

here is my question for you.. when reading the bottle.. it gives an initial dose amount.. and then a maintenance amount.. or 1 cap per 10 gal and then 1 cap per 50 gal after that initial dose.. were you double dosing the 1 to 10 gal or the 1 to 50 gal? or all or?

if i were you id leave the tank for a couple days.. you have reached a concentration level of excel to kill the algae and then went a bit over board and this is the fine line between killing algae and melting some plants.. it happens.. no big deal other then the possibility of loosing some plants.. vals are hardy.. mine have come back.. yours should too..

whatever plants are left are sure going to love you! might want to add a bit of fertilizer.. ;)

11. Re: Hair Algea

I was dosing the maintence amount. It worked out to be the 10 mls per 50 g. I wont do anything else to the tank. My swords and crypts are still looking great and also anything else but the vals, I hope they comeback.

I have just plain flourish, the brown one, would that work,

thanks for your help.

yup to flourish.. what kind of lights do you run? how many watts total and what color spectrum?

for future info.. your vals might not have been accustomed to that level of excel in the water column mine also were the first to go.. however i kept adding and the rest followed after a couple more over doses.. once my plants have been accustomed to the level of excel in the water i could add a lot more without melting them.. your swords are going to look really happy in a couple days ;)

do you feed your swords with root tabs?

13. Re: Hair Algea

I am just running 4-T12 40 watts each daylight bulbs- also have 2- 38 watts sunblasters. I want to eventually upgrade the lighting, its just what came with it, I am planning on doing the root tabs afterI get the algae under control, and making sure the water is better.

With the algea being red, and very noticeable, how do I get rid of it from the tank? or will the fish eat it.

it should slowly come off.. but if your in a rush a toothbrush works wonders.. if your really on top of things.. wait till your next water change.. use the toothbrush right infront of the hose for the water change.. remove and suck it out all in one step

15. Re: Hair Algea

Yay, all the algea is gone. Thank god, and the plants are starting to return slowly. Thanks for all the advice.