PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant MYSQL_NUM - assumed 'MYSQL_NUM' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/init.php on line 170

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant MYSQL_ASSOC - assumed 'MYSQL_ASSOC' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/init.php on line 170

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant MYSQL_BOTH - assumed 'MYSQL_BOTH' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/init.php on line 170

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant VB_FRAMEWORK - assumed 'VB_FRAMEWORK' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/functions.php on line 8121

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant vsa - assumed 'vsa' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code(8) : eval()'d code on line 1

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant reload - assumed 'reload' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 36

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant banner - assumed 'banner' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 38

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant type - assumed 'type' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant duration - assumed 'duration' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant height - assumed 'height' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant width - assumed 'width' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant url - assumed 'url' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant title - assumed 'title' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant id - assumed 'id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant reload - assumed 'reload' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 36

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant banner - assumed 'banner' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 38

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant type - assumed 'type' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant duration - assumed 'duration' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant height - assumed 'height' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant width - assumed 'width' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant url - assumed 'url' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant title - assumed 'title' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant id - assumed 'id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 45

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant left - assumed 'left' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 51

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant center - assumed 'center' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 52

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant vsafibr_enable_triangle - assumed 'vsafibr_enable_triangle' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/class_core.php(4734) : eval()'d code on line 29

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant vsafibr_enable_triangle - assumed 'vsafibr_enable_triangle' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/class_core.php(4734) : eval()'d code on line 33

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant vsafibr_enable_newwindow - assumed 'vsafibr_enable_newwindow' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/class_core.php(4734) : eval()'d code on line 98

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant onlinestatusphrase - assumed 'onlinestatusphrase' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/class_core.php(4734) : eval()'d code on line 6

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant onlinestatusphrase - assumed 'onlinestatusphrase' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/class_core.php(4734) : eval()'d code on line 57

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant avatarurl - assumed 'avatarurl' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/class_core.php(4734) : eval()'d code on line 58

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant onlinestatusphrase - assumed 'onlinestatusphrase' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/class_core.php(4734) : eval()'d code on line 6

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant onlinestatusphrase - assumed 'onlinestatusphrase' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/class_core.php(4734) : eval()'d code on line 57

PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant avatarurl - assumed 'avatarurl' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in ..../includes/class_core.php(4734) : eval()'d code on line 58

Washing Gravel from my old tank

Thread: Washing Gravel from my old tank

1. Washing Gravel from my old tank

Ok so i had gravel over top of peat moss in my tank and no matter what i did the water would not stay clear so i decided to tear it down. The only problem is now i cant get the damn peat moss out of my gravel. Any ideas? I even tried pressure washing it but it did not work.

Re: Washing Gravel from my old tank

pick it out... or use a screen and rub the dirt threw it and you will loose all small bits of gravel... how much gravel did you put over your peat? and what process did you go threw to do this? i have seen tanks like this without any issues..

also a great reason not to cheap out and mix your gravel with planted substrates..
    Found a big spoon to stir with...

3. Re: Washing Gravel from my old tank

the pieces are too small to pick out, its basically the water is still running dirty. I boiled all the peat moss before putting it in so that it wouldnt change the water colour. I had about an inch of peat moss under 2 inches of gravel.

was it that your water was dirty from debris floating around... or was it the peat that leached into your water changing its color?

5. Re: Washing Gravel from my old tank

the water looked yellow, like actually. I did maybe 5-10 75% water changes and it would clear up for 10 min and then it would be murky and yellow again.
    Last edited by Newtious; 06-06-2009 at 10:57 PM. Reason: language

its the peat leeching... part of using soil or dirt in an aquarium is choosing the right dirt.. peat moss is not exactly pure soil.. its something you add to soil to help it hold water and allow better airflow threw to the roots.. choosing something that has decomposed COMPLETELY and contains NO FERTILIZERS is a must.. most store bought bags of potting soil contain a time release fertilizer... that can be and usually is lethal to fish... also most pre bagged soils contain a mix of different additives to make it "perfect for potting plants" and not perfect for the aquarium environment.. sand clay and top soil (top soil that has fully decomposed and has no additives... a true dirt/soil) are about the only things worth mixing and putting into an aquarium.