Thread: artificial rotifers and plankton?

1. artificial rotifers and plankton?

wondering if any one has used these for fry food... sounds interesting and i might start breeding some fish and wondering if i should use these first and then switch over to bbs? looking at breeding blue rams and apistos down the road.

2. Re: artificial rotifers and plankton?

Nano, I haven't bred either Rams or Apistos, but I believe the fry are large enough that you can start them on BBS. So no need for rotifers or plankton. The trick with BBS is to use them with 24 hours after hatch to maximize nutrition. That is, before they exhaust their yolk sack. You can enrich them, however, with either plankton or more easily with commercial products such as Selco (Selcon?). From my experience with Kribs and other cichlids, you can start the fry quite soon on dry food.

3. Re: artificial rotifers and plankton?

with both rams and apistos like Rondelet said, BBS is your best bet.

4. Re: artificial rotifers and plankton?

Quote Originally Posted by Howe View Post
    with both rams and apistos like Rondelet said, BBS is your best bet.
    according to the sites i read, they said bbs was too big for the fry for the first 7 days, and survival rates would improve if using infusoria or A.R.

5. Re: artificial rotifers and plankton?

I've read the same thing. Brian also told me the same. Do you have a pair yet?

6. Re: artificial rotifers and plankton?

Quote Originally Posted by Shzarn View Post
    I've read the same thing. Brian also told me the same. Do you have a pair yet?
    no, but i intend to get a few pairs within the week and start up some hard core breeding set ups, and if i am successful, trying apistos i found good deals, but am still looking for equipment.... but i will be ready. i figure it will be good practice!
    i really want to breed apistos, and rams will keep me occupied and and will be a tad more forgiving !

7. Re: artificial rotifers and plankton?

Quote Originally Posted by nanokid View Post
    according to the sites i read, they said bbs was too big for the fry for the first 7 days, and survival rates would improve if using infusoria or A.R.
    wait you might just be right there, I jumped to agaasizi's!
    apisto covers I dunno a hundred fish now? if I remeber you want cacotoos, triple red and orange flashes?
    from all the breeders I've talked to they do prefectly fine on BBS, but then again those were in heavily planted tanks too, which I'm guessing outta have much more tiny things the babies can eat.

I personally haven't used infusoria yet, but I'll give it a shot next spawn and do another without it and see what the survival rate is, as I dont' think my agassizi are really any bigger, if anything they're slightly small, but more agressive.

8. Re: artificial rotifers and plankton?

Quote Originally Posted by Howe View Post
    wait you might just be right there, I jumped to agaasizi's!
    apisto covers I dunno a hundred fish now? if I remember you want cacotoos, triple red and orange flashes?
    from all the breeders I've talked to they do prefectly fine on BBS, but then again those were in heavily planted tanks too, which I'm guessing outta have much more tiny things the babies can eat.

I personally haven't used infusoria yet, but I'll give it a shot next spawn and do another without it and see what the survival rate is, as I dont' think my agassizi are really any bigger, if anything they're slightly small, but more agressive.
    yeup. i do want to try cacotoos and triple reds, orange flash. but in planted tanks, there is lots of infusoria already in the tank living near the plants. i will be doing this in bare bottom ten gallons or 25 gallons, with clay pots and drift wood, i also will not be letting the parent raise the fry. and when the ram fry are big enough, switching them over...

back to my question- has anyone used A.R?

Re: artificial rotifers and plankton?

You perked my interest in this product. I did not know if you had seen the product description. It is as follows:

Artificial Plankton Rotifer

APR is a microencapsulated feed that can be used as a replacement for rotifers (Brachionus plicatilis), making it a great food for feeding larval shrimp and fish. Its high fat content and excellent fatty acid profile will produce post-larvae of uniform size. Approximate particle size is 100 microns. Application: to feed 4 million shrimp (Penaus monodon), original stocking density, in a 50-ton water tank, add an average of 60 g/day during the zoel stages, 75 g/day during the mysid stages, and 50 g/day during the PL stages, until PL20 is reached. For fish feed, mix a small amount of water to create an emulsion. Feed small amounts 4–6 times per day. Sold in 300-gram can.

This is a substitute for a salt water rotifer but since these are microencapsulated, perhaps a rotifer egg?, it probalbly won't matter. What will matter is the lack of stimulus the fish fry are attracked to by a living motile organisim. Again this is more important in saltwater fish larvae but I have seen other cichlids fry like angels, discus and jewels refuse fine powdered food yet when presented with BBS they react immeadiately and start to feed.

If this food is taken up I think it will be worth the effort since it contains hight concentrations of HUFA that will promote the growth and formation of your target feeders.

Cultivation of infusoria for tiny freshwater fry are probably the best choice.
    Last edited by ijkidd; 01-30-2009 at 09:14 AM.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

micro worms, vinegar eels are even smaller. Great to start them then move to BBS.

easy to culture.

11. Re: artificial rotifers and plankton?

sooooo how do you culture them?

there is a great microworm culture thread on this site, you could probably search for it, it is where I learned. vinegar eels?, dunno.

You could always attach java fern to the wood to increase the amount of infusoria.

14. Re: artificial rotifers and plankton?

Quote Originally Posted by TKD View Post
    You could always attach java fern to the wood to increase the amount of infusoria.
    yes i have that going right now.... so does anyone have a culture going that i can have or show me how to do it? links?

infusoria - put a gallon jar on the window sill with some tank water, siphoned from where you think you have a lot, like by those plants, and put in some rabbit pellets, the kind they eat, not the other kind, and wait a few days.